Monday 17 January 2011

Her skin is white cloth and she's all sewn apart and she has many coloured pins sticking out of her heart. - Voodoo Girl

So sitting here eating Nutella on toast (ADDICTED by the way!) I thought I’d use my time wisely and write a second post! (First time for everything! Or second…) I’ve got a few ideas on what I’d like to bring to my blog, firstly I think I owe it to myself to indulge and write ode and to generally just gush about Tim Burton




The first time I came across this brilliantly and weirdly creative man was when I was roughly 5 or 6 years of age. I can’t remember how I acquired it but someone, thankfully, put The Nightmare Before Christmas in my hands and I watched it. And I watched it. And believe me I was engrossed! I watched it religiously every Sunday after (some may call it blasphemous?) singing and quoting word for word. Can you imagine my Dads joy when one Fathers day, while I was heavily influenced by NMBC, he received a handmade card adorned with Jack Skellington’s image in a grave yard. Strange that I was so in love with the film, because I was a scared of everything as a little child; of the wind tapping at the letter box (I even thought I saw Jack Frost. He wasn’t a nice man.) and to be honest still am!


My Jack Skellington Pumpkin in the middle!

I own, pretty much, every Tim Burton film or have at least seen it. His poetry books are oddly fabulous! I feel I owe Tim Burton a lot, I wouldn’t have read the poetry of Edgar Allan Poe, I probably wouldn’t have been exposed to so much Johnny Depp (mm…) and now own a signed picture of him! Next stop, Tim Burton signature please!

The way Tim Burton creates his films and has particular trade marks I think are the traits of a great producer/director. A Tim Burton film doesn’t feel the same if it doesn’t have music by Danny Elfman!! And believe me I can tell the beginnings of Danny Elfman music a mile off. Obsessive? Fanatical? You decide! I’m even training the boyfriend to pick up on the little things.

The thing I love about this man is his creativity, the way he plans out his stories and the sketches which have so much detail. So childlike but seem so intricate. How he can start out with a poem and turn it into a fantastic children’s film. I may be biased, I grew up with a love for his style. The whole story of the Nightmare Before Christmas and the idea of these separate lands concerned with only one day of the year and the characters behind them fascinates me!

And so I go on to my Top 6 Tim Burton films. Ok I couldn’t narrow it down anymore…

Beetle Juice (1988) – A film about the afterlife! This coming from someone who is scared of their own shadow! Michael Keaton in this is fabulous as Betelgeuse! I love the little things added in like Jack Skellington’s head on a headpiece Betelgeuse wears some 5 years before the release  of NMBC. It also has Winona Ryder who I love as an actress. No wonder this film is one of Michael Keaton’s favourites of his own.

 Batman Returns (1992)  – Tim Burton as director and Batman what’s not to like? A hunky, caped rich man fighting crime and Michelle Pfeiffer in PVC as Catwoman. So much hotter than Halle Berry.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) – Just a fantastic story! Who doesn’t like Alice in Wonderland?! Johnny Depp AND Helena Bonham Carter!!

Big Fish (2003) – Another moving story, so beautifully put together! Never fail’s to make me cry! I  think a lot could be taken away from it. Ageless.


Edward Scissorhands (1990) – I love the fact that the idea came from a drawing by a teenaged Tim Burton. Can you believe Burton’s first choice for Edward was Michael Jackson!! I find this  film so moving!


The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – without a doubt. Has a lot of sentimental value to me as well.


And look who I met…





No comments:

Post a Comment